Winemaker Tasting Notes:
The B Side Pinot Noir is a brilliant ruby red in the glass with the slightest blood orange hued edge. This is a soul - filled Pinot Noir with lifted aromas of raspberry, rose petal, cherry cola and black tea. Further spiced with notes of clove and fresh forest, the aromas lead to a full-bodied, richly textured palate with layered flavors of black cherry, violets, spice and smoke. With each additional swirl of the glass, the wine becomes moodier with hints of dried orange peel, tart plum, sage and lavender adding complexity. The wine is aged for 12 months with 30% of the blend in new French Oak barrels (Francois Frere, Damy & DJ) while the remaining portion of the blend (70%) is in seasoned, one to two-year-old barrels.
The Pinot Noir fruit for this wine is grown in some of the finest regions within the diverse North Coast appellation. The Beckstoffer Vineyard in the Carneros Napa region was tapped for 37% of the fruit going into the blend. This incredibly sought-after Pinot Noir develops big, concentrated fruit flavors and is some of the first fruit to come in at harvest. An additional 30% of the blend comes from the highly respected Sangiacomo Vineyard located in the newly approved Petaluma Gap AVA. This fruit, from the hillside Fedrick block of the vineyard, is clone 115 and is known for expressive aromatics and fine tannins that are lush and round. And finally, the remainder of the blend comes from Pinot Noir fruit grown in Lake County and the Anderson Valley of Mendocino County. Both of these beautiful and unique regions give fruit with complexity, concentrated flavor and very good, balanced acidity.
The entire North Coast region enjoyed a beautiful 2016 growing season. The relatively even growing season followed welcome winter rains that eased California’s ongoing drought and gave vines plenty of moisture to pull from throughout the season. With no frost during bloom nor heat spikes during the summer, harvest was greeted with relative ease. The ripening season enjoyed cooler than average daytime highs with plenty of sunshine so fruit developed very good color and flavor concentration while the typical area cold nights enabled the fruit to maintain excellent acidity.
Our roots trace back to an authentic place. B Side wines are rare, unconventional and often lesser known. We follow a rhythm no one else can hear separating our wines from others with smooth, soulful palettes and perfectly tuned notes. B Side is a complex wine, made simply. For those who know the difference.
Technical Winemaking Details:
Composition: 100% Pinot Noir
Appellation: North Coast
Barrel Info: 30% new French Oak barrels (Francois Frere, Damy & DJ); Aged for 12 months.