Winemaker Tasting Notes:
The B Side Pinot Noir is a true, ruby red in the glass with vibrant aromas of strawberry, cranberry, rose petal, and brewed black tea. The palate is fresh with loads of red fruit, mushroom, soy, and pomegranate flavors. The wine is distinctively coastal in style with cooler climate characteristics including complex flavors of forest floor and spice and with bright acidity that heightens the texture and length. The wine is aged exclusively in French oak for 12 months with 30% of the blend in new barrels (Dargaud et Jaegle & Remond Allier) while the remaining portion of the blend (70%) is in seasoned, one- to two-year-old barrels.
The Pinot Noir fruit for this wine is grown in some of the finest regions within the diverse North Coast appellation. The Beckstoffer Vineyard in the Carneros Napa region was tapped for 37% of the fruit going into the blend. This incredibly sought-after Pinot Noir develops big, concentrated fruit flavors and is some of the first fruit to come in at harvest. An additional 30% of the blend comes from the highly respected Sangiacomo Vineyard located in the newly approved Petaluma Gap AVA. This fruit, from the hillside Fedrick block of the vineyard, is clone 115 and is known for expressive aromatics and fine tannins that are lush and round. And finally, the remainder of the blend comes from Pinot Noir fruit grown in Lake County and the Anderson Valley of Mendocino County. Both of these beautiful and unique regions give fruit with complexity, concentrated flavor and very good, balanced acidity.
The entire North Coast region enjoyed a very even, balanced 2017 growing season. The relatively easy growing season followed above average winter rains that eased California’s ongoing drought and gave vines plenty of moisture to pull from throughout the season. The additional rain also bumped up overall yield in the vineyards. With no frost during bloom nor heat spikes during the summer, harvest was greeted with relative ease and the fruit for this wine was safely in the winery before the regions devastating North Bay fires. The grapes came in with excellent color quality and flavor development and overall, the wines of the 2017 vintage are outstanding.
Our roots trace back to an authentic place. B Side wines are rare, unconventional and often lesser known. We follow a rhythm no one else can hear separating our wines from others with smooth, soulful palettes and perfectly tuned notes. B Side is a complex wine, made simply. For those who know the difference.